Cover

Cover

Monday, October 18, 2010

Naturally Professional: Michelle


I am so excited to introduce Michelle, our next feature in the Naturally Professional series.  Not only is Michelle rocking her beautiful natural hair in the corporate world with State Farm, she is an entrepreneur and the co-owner of  M.A.J.E.S.T.I.C. fitness.  



This interview is a must read.  Michelle opens up about learning how to be comfortable with her natural texture, a decision we all have or will face at some point or another. 
Please join me in welcoming Michelle to Crown and Temple as our next Naturally Professional Feature. 



CT
How long have you been natural?

Michelle
Since July 2009

CT
What made you decide to wear your hair in a natural style?

Michelle
I have worn braids off and on, I tried weaves, wigs, the whole nine!  And of course, I wore my hair relaxed!  I was also searching for a new look and after wearing my hair in one style for a period of time, I tend to get bored.  I always resorted to braids, however, because I exercise a lot.  Braids were always easiest to deal with.  With respect to the full transition, I have always been intrigued with and admired women who were bold and confident enough to wear their hair so, being tired of my braids, I said, why not?  At the time 95% of my hair was virgin and I refused to put one more ounce of chemical in it…I got a 2 strand twist and never looked back!

CT
How do you wear your hair?

Michelle
I primarily wear my hair in a two strand twist.  It gives me a bunch of versatility.  Often, people think I have locs in my hair.  On occasion, I will take the twists out and wear it loose.  Recently, I started shampooing my hair and loosely coiling the hair – this also gives a different look and represented me stepping out again and being comfortable with my texture of hair!

CT
I can remember that feeling of getting comfortable with my own texture without weaves or braids.  Can you describe that feeling or process?

Michelle
Yes, I remember staring in the mirror a lot – first in disbelief that I finally “did it,” and a slightly higher level of self-confidence.  I began to look more closely at other women and their natural styles, too.  I was so accustomed to always having my hair straightened, or longer, that I never knew what my natural texture was and how to make it work.  I was afraid of my texture, afraid of it being kinky, and afraid of it being “shorter” and less manageable.  The more I played with my hair, I realized the versatility of my natural hair – be it in twists or an afro.  And frankly, it probably took 7 long months before I pinned all of my hair up or drastically changed my style.  It took 10 months before I ventured into the afro!  I can say now after 15 months of natural hair – I finally get it!

CT
What are some of your favorite products?

Michelle
I use products by Miss Jessie’s.  Specifically, the   Baby Buttercreme; it provides great moisture to my hair and doesn’t compromise the twist.  I actually believe it accentuates the twist.  I also use the company’s Curly Pudding when I coil my hair or wear a loose afro – this product accentuates my normal curl pattern.  Otherwise, for detangling purposes, I use good ole Infusium conditioner.

CT
What kind of work do you do?

Michelle
I am a recruiter with State Farm.  I’ve been with the company for 11 years.  I work in and around New York City, so, I certainly am in a location that experiences diversity in many different ways. 


I also co-own a fitness business called, M.A.J.E.S.T.I.C.
Michelle And Jackqulyn

CT
You went natural in 2009; did you transition to natural hair while working at State Farm?  If so, please describe how you felt at the time? 

Michelle
I did transition while at State Farm; I’ve been with the company for 11 years, so I felt OK about transitioning into this type of style and I’ve always changed my hairstyles.  I suppose my biggest thought was, ‘OK – how do I explain this style to people?!’  Certainly, once I wore the twists, so many people complimented the look and assumed my hair was cut!  While I agreed my hair was cute (LOL), I had no idea so many would embrace it – and that was across gender and cultural lines.


CT
Going back to your other business; I love the website and have also been interested in urban fitness and nutrition, please tell us a little more about your business and what makes it unique?
 
Michelle
Our business was founded in 2005, out of a season of fasting and praying, and of course, our passion for fitness.  M.A.J.E.S.T.I.C. is the acronym for: Michelle And Jackqulyn Energizing Sold Together In Christ.  Our mission is to promote physical fitness in urban communities via group exercise and personal training.  We offer a variety of fitness genres including: Hi-Lo Impact Aerobics, Body Conditioning, Zumba ®, Soul Line Dancing, Cardio Boot Camp, Sassy Senior Aerobics, and African Dance.  We offer a lot and can create programs for just about any client – corporate, community, or individual.  We love what we do – our sincerity, passion, and knowledge are paramount.  We give all we have to the people we are working with – we want to make a difference in helping to combat obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and other conditions by educating people about good nutrition, sound exercise principles, and making healthy lifestyle changes.  Oh, and we just completed our first fitness DVD “Cardio Jam N’ Tone!”

CT
What kinds of feedback do you receive about your hair while working?

Michelle
 I haven’t had one negative opinion yet (at least no one has stated anything to me).  Most people compliment my “haircut!”  I did throw a dash of color in my hair in April – so folks loved that, too!  Very, very positive feedback from people with MANY different ethnic backgrounds!

CT
Have you encountered any negative experiences working with natural hair? If so, please share your experience?

Michelle
None

CT
How do you deal with any negative comments about natural hair?

Michelle
I never had to. Many black women with perms complimented me on taking the steps to go natural.  I often hear, I want to do it, too, but…

CT
What advice would you give to women who wish to transition to natural hair while maintaining a professional career?

Michelle
I have been embraced with my style change at the workplace.  From a hair standpoint – keep it neat, well-maintained, and keep it clean.  At times, I have seen men and women with natural hair and it’s a mess.  Wearing our hair natural doesn’t give us the green light to not maintain it!  That’s the point where natural hair can get a bad rap.  Also, be confident about your style – make sure you’re ready for the transition.  It took me years until I got the guts – and I am very certain, I will never return to a perm (I will throw a bit of color chemicals in from time – time!!). 

CT
Thank you Michelle, I love the advice you gave about transitioning to natural hair and keeping it neat and clean. Please feel free to add additional comments.

Michelle
 www.majesticworkout.com.  We have a new fitness DVD out – Cardio Jam n’ Tone!  Get your copy today!!  I can also send photos if interested!

4 comments:

  1. Chawn, great interview! I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks Denise. It means a lot coming from you. Take care Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos Michelle! Your spirit and your hair are equally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment, Melissa! This was truly a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete