Cover

Cover

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Naturally Professional: Robin


Please join Crown and Temple as we continue our Naturally Professional Series with Robin.
Robin is a natural professional who works for a four year public university.  




CT
How long have you been natural?  

Robin
My last perm was November of 1999.  I started with comb twists until I cut the rest of the perm out of my hair. I wore an afro puff for a number of years then transitioned into two strand twists.  I let my stylist color my hair and watched it break off; therefore I went back to the afro puff.

CT
What made you decide to wear your hair in a natural style?

Robin
My hair did not seem to like perms.  Perms seemed to suck all of the life out of my hair.  At the time I had a lot of breakage. Today, I think it may have been an undiagnosed thyroid problem.  The stylist claimed that he used the mildest perm on the market on my hair. It continued to break.  I had had enough and decided to stop the insanity.  The perms clearly were not making my hair better. 
Finally I learned of a new stylist who explained to me that I can transition into natural hair with comb twists. She demonstrated the technique; I was hooked.

CT
How do you wear your hair?

Robin
Now, I wear my hair three ways.  I use a head band comb to pull my curl-fro back.  I smooth down the front and let the back go curly.  Years ago with shorter hair, I used a large sized cloth covered hair band. 
On other days, I comb my hair out in the shower. Create a finger part down the middle or near the side and then finger comb my hair into a simple kinky mop style.  I would not have dared this style some years ago.  Instead, I wore twists on days that I did not have it pulled back.  With it being longer, I can pull off the kinky style better.
In the winter, I like to wear it flat ironed.  This is new.  Once again, now that it is longer I like to play with the versatility. 

CT
You bring up a good point about length.  I remember when my hair was short I could not wait for it to grow out to have more styling options.  When it grew, I found I had more options but it took much longer to style.  What has been your experience?   Talk to me about the amount of time you spend doing your hair? 

Robin
I purchased a book to help me find hairstyles.  I gave it to another woman who was a few years into her journey and was searching for hairstyles.  Natural Hair Care and Braiding This book helped me to select styles for my hair length throughout the last ten years. 
I don’t spend much time on my hair unless you count the shower.
I use a moisturizing conditioner to comb through my hair using a very wide tooth comb.  I rinse it and then apply a leave-in conditioner.
I use microfiber towels on my head to pull out most of the moisture.  You can spend quite a bit of money on these towels. I have had success shopping in the car care aisle.
My final step is to use Paul Mitchell Foaming Pommade on my hair. First I find a good styling mousse.  I pour a good sized dollop into my hand.  Poke a dimple into it and pour in about a dime to a quarter size amount of the pommade.  Rub it together and then apply it to my hair. I get better coverage that way.  Use the microfiber towel to wipe my hands and I am done. 

CT
What kind of work do you do?

Robin
I work in a retention program for low income, first generation to college, and disabled students at a four year public university. 

CT
What do you like most about your job? 

Robin
I enjoy working with new students each year.  In my position, I am life coach, mentor and that older sibling that attended college first.  I can observe a student from being direct from high school to college graduation and his or her first job interview.  I can nudge a student into leadership positions and peek at his or her Facebook page to observe their college experience. 

CT
What kinds of feedback do you receive about your hair while working?

Robin
I receive compliments.  I am asked about my ethnic heritage.  People will confess to me their struggles with their natural journey. 

CT
What kinds of struggles do you hear about most often? 

Robin
Most often, I hear about the reluctance to transition to natural hair; specifically, the willingness to cut out the relaxed hair and deal with the discomfort of the new growth. I hear about the itching a lot and the fear of having short hair.  Secondary to those are the fears about not knowing how to care or groom transitioning hair. 

CT
Have you encountered any negative experiences working with natural hair? If so, please share your experience?

Robin
Oh definitely, But not what you are thinking. People do not recognize me when I change my style.  That is annoying.  I think the fluidity of higher education and my status/position does not attract too much grooming critique.  My goal is to always look, dress, groom better than my students.  I can accomplish this with a little make-up, jewelry, and an understated natural hair style.  People are more inclined to notice when I wear a short skirt. 
On another note, I consider exaggerated complements when I wear my hair straight to be a negative comment about my natural hair.  Despite this, I pay attention to the speaker.  If the speaker is a student, then I attribute it to his or her own experiences with black women and hair.  If the speaker were a staff member of higher status than I, I need to consider the possibility of political context for the comment.  This has not happened at my current position. In my previous position I worked half-time for a man who went onto author books on the African centered rites of passage. The other half of my time, I worked for a woman whose primary concern is that I looked well-groomed. 

CT
You said, “I worked for a woman whose primary concern was that I looked well-groomed.”  How did the conversation about your look come about?  Please clarify the context of that statement? 

Robin
She like a lot of people associated natural hair with dirty, dry hair or unkempt hair.  She did not think such hair would be professional.  As I experimented with products and hair styles she would politely give me feedback.  With her help, I found the products and the styles that fit well into my work life.  She was actually the person who made me consider that relaxing my hair which continued to break off and didn’t hold a curl was a losing battle. 

CT
How do you deal with any negative comments about natural hair?

Robin
I love this question.  But it forces to me to think in terms of years.  The first five years, I would try my best to ignore the comments because they stung. 
At that time I belonged to a regional group of retention professionals. There were five or so of us just from my state who began our natural journeys within years of each other.  At the larger conferences, we met with seasoned professional women with natural hair working in our fields.  These women had served as president of the conference and on their campuses had risen to the level of Dean and tenured faculty.  With role models like that, it was easy to consider the larger impact of my work over my hair style. 
Once I tried to gain admittance into a mature club, the doorman questioned my age. In the same sentence he told me that he knew I did not have a job with my hair “like that.”  The comment would have ruined my night if my girlfriend hadn’t reminded me that the doorman was wearing a Jherri Curl.  It was 2000. It helps to have supportive friends. 
For the past five years or so, I can’t recall any negative comments.
CT
What advice would you give to women who wish to transition to natural hair while maintaining a professional career?

Robin
Gauge your environment.  A good test is to wear braids or a wig with braids. Observe the responses of your co-workers. 
Ready yourself professionally.  Talk with your supervisor about your role in the organization.  You don’t want to be surprised with poor performance evaluations just because you changed your hair style.

CT
You provide some very realistic advice.  What would you say to someone who is met with a less than favorable response when trying out a natural hair style?  What would you say to them if they still wanted to wear their natural hair?
 
Robin
In my day, (I am an Early Gen-Xer) we used to say, “do what you need to do to get the job.” This included going into an interview looking as much like your potential employer as possible.  Once employed, we assumed that we could let our hair down. 
Back to the question, I am not sure how to answer that.  My professional experience has been so positive.  I have heard some strange stories of women in professional environments who were targeted with new office policies that only affected their personal style.  It could result in a conflict that may not be worth the battle.  I think unless you are willing to work for yourself, you have to be willing to accept that your weekday style and your weekend style will diverge. 

CT
Do you have anything else you would like to add?

Robin
Increase your knowledge about natural hair. You will become an unofficial spokesperson for all women who are considering the natural hair style.   Many assumptions will be made about you.  Many comments will be made that are unintentionally offensive. 
For example, I blogged this statement in 2006 about my reluctance to attend family holiday dinners:
I don’t get the hair questions as often anymore. My relatives have finally adopted the belief that my hair will not see a perm again or a weave. Yet, some guest will mention that she tried the go natural but when she could not pull a comb through her hair she had to get it fixed. Or that the itching, the dryness or the naps were too much to take. These statements in affect announce to the group that I must not be able to get a comb through my itchy, dry, nappy hair. Thanks.
CT
I know exactly what you mean!  Where can we find your blog? 

Robin
My original blog is here ibfrizzy.multiply.com Robin’s Nest
my current blog is here ibfrizzy.blogspot.com The Frizzyhooker

No comments:

Post a Comment